Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Got Milk?

Well the title says it all... I feel like a walking milk machine or better yet.. a cow!

I have been lucky enough to nurse Jensen from day one with very little hiccups. Since I was in the hospital for so long my milk came in while I was there which was a huge help. They showed me different feeding positions, a proper latch (not just making me watch a movie), and how I would know if he is getting enough milk. They also taught me how to pump, and what to do when I get too engouraged. The nurses were great and because of their help I am successful at feeding my son.

Nursing has ups and downs... like when my milk is really low on one side for no reason or Mastisis - which is awful and painful! I love being able to breastfeed though and I know that he likes it too. I think we both like the bond it provides and I know he is getting the antibodies he needs. I was sick yesterday but instructed to continue nursing which I did. He didn't get sick and I got better. Funny how that worked.

I would love to nurse him through his sixth month if possible. I am pumping and storing milk every day at least 4 or 5 ounces (each day) to start stocking it for when I go back to work. I don't want to feel like I don't have enough milk to give him when I go back. I figured if I pump and store at least once a day that it should put me in a pretty good place when I go back. I will pump 3 times a day when I am back a work (in the morning, at lunch, and early afternoon) and I will freeze all of that. I will still be able to breastfeed him when I get home from work and all through the night and the first feeding or two in the morning.

I plan to wean him off the breast when he can eat more than rice cereal. I want to make his rice cereal with breastmilk so that his tummy handles food better. I also want to learn how to make my own baby food so that he isn't eating all the preservatives in canned food. I know that you can make a lot of freeze it so I will have to check into it! Hopefully he likes what I make. I know it is a time commitment but I won't be nursing and I will be done with school (or about done) by then so I am sure I will have plenty of time. Plus, it will be probably be more affordable. I am sure buying everything each time seems expensive, but it probably goes a long way... or I would hope. I want to give it a shot though.

Anyway, nursing is great and I am getting the bond that I never expected to get and didn't think I would like. However for those who say breastfeeding is free ($$) they are SO wrong! You get way too full so you have to pump which means you have to buy a pump, the parts, bottles, bottle brushes, warmer, etc. It is definitely worth it though! I am not giving up any time soon!

Okay, I should be doing homework and Jensen is getting fussy. Signing off for the night....

No comments:

Post a Comment