Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Week 40 and no signs of a baby

The only sign of having a baby is the fact that my belly could not get any larger! Okay, that is probably not true, however my belly has stayed the same size for a few weeks now so I hope it doesn't get any bigger.

Sunday was an interesting day! Corey and I went to Walmart to pick up a weeks worth of groceries (because if Jensen comes I don't want food to go bad in the fridge) and I started getting really bad contractions. When we got home I put the food away, made lasagna, and ate. During that time I tried to time my contractions but it felt like one constant contraction that would not go away. I tried to call the doctor on-call, but it would not let me leave a message. I got in the bath for an hour and the pain would not subside regardless of the position I was in. I knew I was having real labor pains (especially in my back) but it was hard to tell how far apart they were. When I got out of the bath I timed a few and they seemed to be between 6-8 minutes apart. Because I could not get a hold of the doctor I told Corey that we should go to the hospital to see if I have made any progress because they were getting much closer together. I had a 98% gut feeling that we would be sent home within an hour or two, but I wanted to make sure that everything was okay. Everything turned out fine and my contractions were 8 minutes apart like I anticipated. I was still only at a 1 and 60% so we were sent home. The nurse was really nice though and gave me some good tips on what to watch for, etc. She said that since I am having small, consistant contractions that I am in early labor, but it may take days or even weeks to be in active labor. I was able to put my mind at ease and came home and went right to bed.

Monday was a pretty slow day. I slept fairly well that night and in the morning I got up when Corey did to go to work. I slowly moved around the house and then went to get Marissa and Rylee so we could walk around the mall and get this baby moving before lunch time. My mom came over for lunch and then after I tried to take a nap but the apartment inspectors were here (they come twice a year and replace filters, etc) and they ended up here for a long time because they had to fix our sink. Corey was home by then (around 2:30) so I just laid down and did nothing! We ate left overs for dinner so I didn't have to get up and cook - left overs are a brilliant idea!

I had my 40 week doctor's appointment today (Tuesday) and had Corey come with me. Tomorrow is officially 40 weeks and my due date. I figured since there was no sign of Jensen's arrival in the coming days it would be good for him to come and we could talk about inducing. Sure enough nothing has changed since last week or even Sunday... I am still at 1cm and 60%. Dr. B said that he is in surgery all day on Wednesday and is out of town the rest of the week next week so he wanted to try and get me induced early in the week. He sort of had to "work the system" to get me approved to go in earlier than the 41 week mark. The plan for right now is to see Dr. B on Monday morning and see if anything changes. We already scheduled the induction to take place and I should go into the hospital on Monday night and get started on Certival and then Tuesday morning start on Pitocin. Certival from online pictures looks a little like a flat tampon that stays in for up to 12 hours to help with thinning of the cervix. Since I am already at 60% hopefully it doesn't take 12 hours to do its job. Then they will do Pitocin which will dilate me.

Today I am feeling a little down. I really hoped for some other kind of news, although I knew this was in the cards. I am hoping that if I have to get induced that the Certival will help dilate me to a 2 or 3 and they can break my water before starting Pitocin to see if that gets me moving. I am trying not to stress out and just let my body do what it is going to do. I trust my body to deliver a healthy baby regardless of how he comes out and what interventions have to take place.

If I don't have him in the next few days he will be here in a week! In the meantime I still trying to do a lot of walking, resting, and finishing last minute things. I should probably be prepping for my math course but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe that will be my goal this week - 1 hour per day of math until Jensen arrives. I HATE math!

Son, I know you like it in there, but as Rylee says "Come out, Jensen!" (as she knocks softly on my belly). We are all anxiously awaiting for you! I love you, son!

No comments:

Post a Comment